Wednesday 29 August 2007

Yay!

The IR emitter turned up and oh man what a difference. The moment I powered it up it was like i'd just put the IR Sun in the room!

I'll definitely need some kind of IR diffuser as it was just too bright (28 IR LEDS) to shine straight at the sheet of acrylic (this was from underneath by the way). I managed to get a "diffused" effect of sorts by changing the angle but this meant I had a really bright "point of contact" that faded to nothing. It wasn't ideal but gave me a realistic testing area. The heavens opened - super bright blobs being detected all over place. After a good bit of tweaking on the camera I managed to get it to see just my finger tips - with the occaisional false blob (due to the position of my setup / test enviroment). It was more than enough to see it working properly for the first time with my fingers and not the remote control.

Naturally I fired up the Flickr photo app - oh man...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

can you show a screenshot or a part number?

Admin said...

Ebay auction for the same thing.

Number 130146859849

It does get slightly hot though, but that could be due to the fact I'm runing it at its max voltage of 15V. I can't tell you what the specs are though as the seller couldn't tell me (he's basically a reseller for them though so I suppose you could ask the manufacturer...).

Having said this, it works for me - I just need to find some way of diffusing the IR light and/or running it at a lower voltage so its not as bright.

Kamelisko said...

Do you still have the diffusive sheets which make the backlight? I tested my screen with camcoder and remote control. The backlight sheets seemed to diffuse the IR light very strongly..

Admin said...

LOL!

Its funny that you mention that as about 1 hour ago it suddenly occured to me that those sheets may do exactly that!

Kamelisko said...

Any new info of your project?

Admin said...

Hi,

No sorry not at the moment. I've been a little busy so haven't had much time on my hands lately. I hope to get some thing up and running soon but at the moment there are other things that are taking priority - thanks for stopping by anyway.

C ya

Unknown said...

Hi Andy, i hope you are doing fine. I've really enjoyed reading your blog, so I hope you can get back on the multi touch horse again soon and show us what you've been up to.

Maya

TrueView said...

how big is your LCD screen?